May 6, 2020

Anything you know about home theater surround sound?

Aubrey Tirri: There are really a lot of considerations to think about. I would start by looking at examples of what others have done. The AVS forum is the place for that... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=...I'll list a few things and leave it to you to do some research...1. Consider doing a "CIH" system, that is Constant Image Height. For this you need a 2.4:1 or greater aspect screen, video scaling, and an anamorphic lens. I like Prismasonic lenses because they are adjustable. http://www.prismasonic.com/account/order_form.php Movie aspect ratios vary quite a bit so this lens allows you to adjust for this.2. Consider a curved screen. This can correct for distortions in the lens and can improve brightness uniformity just a little by slightly reducing the maximum off axis viewing angle. Btw, you can build your own screen relatively easily using DaLite material from http://store.cousinsvideo.com/cut-to-size.html 3. Draw the layout of your room! , from that determine viewing distances, off axis angles etc. You will need to know all these things for choosing a projector, screen material etc. I used a 1.3 gain material, it's a good solution for most typical dedicated home theatre applications but you need your room drawing to determine if it's right for you. 4. Think about equipment location. You may want to build a control closet attached to the room.5. Paint the ceiling flat black, you won't be sorry. Also a neutral gray is good for the walls but it needs to be very flat. Also don't hang glass covered movie posters on the walls in your theatre, these belong outside in your theater lobby area. 6. You can use a Receiver if you go with a high end one but I would suggest using external amplification for the main LCR channels. A lot of people argue this isn't necessary but I've always found it to sound better. Your best approach is not to use a receiver but a preamp processor. The advantage of the receiver ! is that it eliminates the need for external amplification of t! he surround channels. Usually the receivers built in amps are good enough for surrounds so it's a convenient package to have all that built in. It is still a compromise over going with a preamp processor however.7. I don't know what to tell you on speakers. I've been building my own since the mid 1970's, actually early mid 1960's if you count mounting old TV speakers in card board boxes when I was about 6 years old. After so many years experience and the good fortune of influence by many speaker designers far smarter than me, I simply can't get excited about any of the commercially available speaker systems out there. I can only say don't go too small. If a speaker is operating in a range where it becomes stressed at typical play levels then it's not going to perform very well. Get something capable of far more output than you need and then at least it will have a more "effortless" or "easy of delivery" sound. Some people use commercial cinema speakers in their hom! e theatre. While these don't produce the most refined or musical sound in my opinion they can certainly be a lot better than a lot of the mass market non sense out there.When I was developing my theatre I did a lot of googling. I would just type in "Home Theatre" and click "Images" or sometimes just a normal web search. I looked at every example I could find! I had never head of an anamorphic lens before at that time. Before any ground was broken for the house the theater evolved from a combination game room/theatre with a 100" 16:9 screen to a totally dedicated theatre with stadium seating using Berkline electric recliners, a 144" 2.4:1 42' radius curved screen with anamorphic lens... So google away and find every example you can!Edit: Grumpy Mac, I think you have Abdou wrong. His previous questions do not suggest he is a troll. His answers are short an to the point... too short in fact usually 2 or 3 words. I think just not a man of many words! Abdou, it reall! y would help if you told us more of your plans. Of course when I start! ed dreaming up my system I could not place a fixed budget on it. I didn't know enough about what I wanted to know what budget to put on it. I ended up spending almost $50K and I'm still going. If I had put that number on it up front I wouldn't have let myself start. So I can understand if you don't know what budget to place on it but we really do need to know at least some idea. Also not just budget but more about room size plans, dedicated room or not... etc etc etc...mk...Show more

Cassey Hollinghurst: ekqudhjfkdsgilfuhlodhfisduhf iuhdsf iuosdh cijdfshiushdkjxcbvlkdsjbfhsd jcsdkvnoj0s0pdijvoujh

Merlin Fleischhacker: Too much to speak of here. To learn the basics http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/FAQ/Theater/Go here to learn the details and become a home theater PhD.:http://www.hometheater.com/

Gene Debell: there is a lot you may desire to be attentive to. For starters do not purchase Bose. you may get the comparable sound for a million/4 to a million/! 2 the fee. Secondly pass out and hear each little thing you could. locate out what sounds stable to you. don't matter on others because of the fact sound is amazingly individual. third you have stated some issues that prepare to AV receivers to not audio device. Are you finding for audio device or an entire AV device? BTW any stable receiver may well be useful the two Dolby and DTS....Show more

Jacques Vaquera: You know - Trolls post innocent sounding questions then sit back and laugh when people spend hours trying to give honest and decent answers.Since you typed 2 sentences in - you look a little like a troll.If you want a decent answer, you need to tell us what your budget is, what equipment you already have and if you are doing a dedicated room or just adding surround-sound to your living room....Show more

No comments:

Post a Comment